[opendtv] Re: Sinclair Launches Original Programming Division | Broadcasting & Cable

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 11:00:56 -0400

> On Sep 7, 2014, at 7:58 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E"
> <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Doubtful. For broadcasters to use LTE as required, first of all they would
> have had to convince the tablet and smartphone vendors to tune into those
> frequency channels. But these hardware vendors are in the pockets of the
> WISPs (and/or, like Apple, are much happier making users pregnant with their
> own content stores). So it seems unlikely.

The frequency issues are being addressed in next gen chips and programmable
radios. It is the need to support different standards that has kept
broadcasters out of the game.

The larger issue for a Broadcast LTE from the telcos is how they monetize the
service. If they charge too much they will be "just another store."

> Secondly, for broadcasters to deploy a reasonably cost-effective LTE
> infrastructure, while still optimized for mobile, they will have considerably
> less usable spectrum than the have now. Which means, they would have to rely
> on VOD over the 2-way Internet, or more entirely rely on MVPDs, to get the
> rest of their content out. (Probably not a big deal for MVPD addicts, but the
> younger generation isn't buying into this model quite so readily.)

The VOD problem is best served via the Internet. Broadcasters are disadvantaged
here as they do not have the rights to offer VOD.

If broadcasters moved to broadcast LTE they might hold onto enough viewers to
survive.

> It would be a different ball game for broadcasters. You make it sound like it
> was as easy as falling off a log.

It was easy two decades ago. We saw good mobile TV in 2000 in Las Vegas. But
that was then. Now it's LTE and WiFi.