[opendtv] Re: Shifting Online, Netflix Faces New Competition

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 16:19:45 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> No, really.  In this Brave New World, how do I watch the
> Superbowl?
>
> There is some television that by it's very nature is appointment TV.
> We all know that the "cloud" doesn't cope very well with everybody
> trying to get the same thing at the same time. In other contexts,
> it's called a "denial of service attack."
>
> So, how do I watch the Superbowl?

I think you're referring to congestion over an ISP's network, if everyone were
to watch live streams of the same program at the same time. There are measures
that ISPs will no doubt be taking as time marches on. In this Superbowl
example, the easiest solution over an ISP net would be to multicast (IP
multicast) the show through the network. As long as the streams remain within
an ISP's own network, this should be doable. And, of course, the bandwidth of
these ISP nets is increasing steadily as well, and the number of servers
deployed throughout.

This is the opposite side of the recorded content coin. What's easier to do for
over a two-way, mostly unicast medium may be more difficult in the one-way
broadcast medium, and vice versa. "More difficult" doesn't mean impossible,
though. In spite of what the pundits and "our pundit" might have you believe.