[opendtv] Re: Shapiro on LPTV

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 17:27:09 -0500

I think even the most inexpensive VCR these days is able to use a remote and switch back and forth between RF and composite inputs. So I don't see that as a major hardship for anyone that owns a VCR.

I sort of wonder if all the very recent flap about disenfranchising low power stations is really about that, or just in hope they will instead be bribed to go away with some new cable must-carry rights.

Is that likely?

- Tom

John Willkie wrote:
Gary Shapiro is a very effective advocate for the membership of the CEA, and I tend to not agree with him much. However, this is a different case. Hell, they ignore me when I calmly have requested to participate in standards-setting work at the CEA.

This whole situation is a FAILURE of advocacy of the latest “leadership” of the CBA.

Back when I was a CBA member – most recently in late 1994 (I was a co-founder of the predecessor group) – there was leadership of the CBA that discussed and advocated for the interest of LPTV stations in the digital transition. I had more than a few face-to-face and telephone conversations with CBA board members who were very concerned about advocating the interest of the members through the transition to digital.

However, since that time, the CBA has had several radical changes of leadership, and the “mission” seemed to be the absurd – phony Class A status – and the unattainable – getting must-carry for LPTVs on cable. Now, they have failed to the extent that the FCC chairman is advocating for the latter.

THIS IS A FAILURE OF CBA ADVOCACY. They’ve failed so miserably that now the NAB – never a fan of translators and LPTVs – is advocating for their position.

And, Bob, the lack of permissive use of other dtv technologies with LPTVs is not only a failure of the CBA, but YOURS as well. How is John Kerry helping you these days? The FCC took away the previously existing situation of permitting LPTVs and translators to use any modulation system approved by the Commission, in an open proceeding, where YOU and the CBA did not advocate for this position.

You are quite foolish. Using a different modulation scheme would have caused MORE CONFUSION, not LESS.