[opendtv] Re: September Download Column

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 12:53:59 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> There IS a better solution.
>
> Open up the broadcast spectrum to push massive amounts of information
> to consumers, INCLUDING high quality real-time broadcasts.
>
> The problem is that the spectrum is currently used inefficiently, and
> it is controlled by gate keepers who have no desire to deliver
> content that competes with their broadcasts.

I'm not convinced that broadcasters would NOT go for this, if there were
some sort of viable model for broadcasting such content. I mean, for one
thing, there's no reason to believe these new broadcasts would compete
with the TV broadcasts at all. It might be unrelated to TV programming
and require only a modest amount of channel space.

One simple and obvious example would be to sell some bit rate to CE
companies, for updating their TV receiver firmware out in the field.
This sort of traffic does not compete with TV broadcasts. Maybe there
are other similar non-TV-related examples where you can make do with
pure broadcasts. How about doing the same thing to update the firmware
in cars, for example? Should be doable. Anything that doesn't require
real interactivity, over a unicast channel, and can benefit instead from
the very-few-to-millions distibution model of broadcast.

It's not so easy to find applications that can use broadcast more
effectively than (broadband) unicast. I don't think it's sensible to
think this broadcast spectrum is useful for truly interactive
applications at all, without massive amounts of local storage in the
receiving device. Which to me becomes "emulated interactivity," rather
than real interactivity. When this is tried, for demo purposes, it comes
across as someone trying to prove a point, and the reaction is basically
"so what?"

> But if we think of the broadcast spectrum as an IP multicast
> platform that is integrally connected with the wired Internet, all
> kinds of things become possible.

Maybe. And both DVB-T and ATSC could play in this as is. I don't think
it's so easy to find those killer apps, myself.