[opendtv] Re: September Download Column

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 12:46:42 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> BE has just revamped their website design. Burried somewhere in
> there is my monthly column...
>
> This one is certain to set Bert off...again!

http://broadcastengineering.com/mag/broadcasting_iptv_buzz/

Au contraire, I thought you did rather well.

I read somewhere recently that DBS is hurting, because they can't offer
the combination of features that both cable and telcos can (or soon will
be), and that's why the merger talk has started up again.

On a somewhat related note, I was wondering last night, why don't some
of the OTA broadcasters dedicate a multicast to something local and
unique. For example, minor league games and high school games. I think
that would be something lots of people would watch, it would not require
any sort of network coverage, and my bet is that the local cable
franchise would lap it up without being begged to. And if they don't, it
would draw people to DTT.