[opendtv] Re: Scrambled channels irk cable viewers

  • From: Mike Enright <menright1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 09:01:56 -0700

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

>What Comcast should have said is that this is the a la carte
>service you customers have been asking for. Of course it ends up
>costing you more. Just as it would cost you more if you bought
>eggs one by one at the supermarket.

As IF!

These customers were happy to receive extra channels. Your "gotcha" is
very much mistaken. Since these customers were not the ones irked by
borderline-indecent programming on their extra channels, your attempt at
irony goes wide.

Comcast missed the boat here. It sounds to me like the numbers involved
are so small that the box they want the low-end subs to use should be
bundled, which technically they might have to do with a price _de_crease.

Comcast has apparently acted legally but they needed to act with a view
to retention, which they seem to have taken for granted. They have put
all these subs in play and they will lose more than they planned because
they have stimulated irrational behavior. Some of those $8.95 Metro
customers will be $40/month DIRECTV customers before the summer is over.

--
Mike Enright
Beautiful Cardiff-by-the-Sea, California