[opendtv] Re: Scrambled channels irk cable viewers

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 13:18:31 -0400

Eory Frank wrote:

> Unfortunately, watching one channel and recording another
> requires two tuners. If we're talking unscrambled analog
> video, then your VCR provides one of those tuners, and either
> your TV set or STB provides the other. If the analog video is
> scrambled, the only way you'll ever "watch-&-record" is with
> a dual tuner STB.

Not necessarily, Frank. I think (surmise) that what Mark
Schubin was doing was to watch an unscrambled analog channel
while recording a scrambled one, or vice versa. This can be
done with just one STB and built-in analog tuners in the
TV set and recording device. It's a bit kludgey, when
scrambled channels are involved, but it can still be done
with *very* cheap components.

And of course, why limit yourself to two? You can add many
more devices, as long as each has the standard interface
(in this case, NTSC).

> But for most of us, this is ancient history, back when analog
> STBs were still being manufactured and deployed. I think the
> only way for subscribers to get an analog STB now is if the
> MSO re-deploys older refurbished units.

But precisely the same issue resurfaces with digital
interfaces. If digital cable/ATSC interfaces in each "TV
appliance" become standard, as the FCC is hoping, then watching
and recording will be just as easy to do with digital as it
was with analog. In fact easier, if the cable interface is
implemented with the proper smart cards.

There aren't all that many options if you want to design
a *sensible* system. It's analogous to saying that you want
to include the IP stack in every PC of a network. You don't
expect to have some remote central box with the IP stack, and
then relay the IP comms to all end users via a variety of
different interface protocols.

Of course, things can always be done the hard way. That's a
no-brainer. When I first got onto the Internet, I had to do
so by logging into a remote host via an IBM SNA net. Big deal.
I doubt anyone thought that was the *right* way to go.