[opendtv] Saving broadcasting

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 11:23:54 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Perhaps its time to focus on a very controversial topic - Can
> Mobile DTV save broadcasting in the U.S.?

Remember those ads that showed kids lying around on city streets,
traffic rushing by, while they were watching TV on their cell phones? I
haven't seen that behavior catching on just yet.

What "saves broadcasting" is, IMO, the same thing that "saves" the
MVPDs: interest from the congloms, economies of scale, and as much
choice as possible for the customer. I think that whatever the Obama
administration's FCC does, it has to keep that in mind.

To me, the MPH standard is another medium that broadcasters (and
congloms) can make use of, just like Internet streams. To me,
associating MPH strictly with cell phone TV would be as much a waste as
associating Internet TV only with PCs. That's not the long view.

And another thing: the economic downturn can only help FOTA
broadcasting. But that means that the masses need to be convinced that
DTT is not their father's analog TV.