[opendtv] Re: Satellite radio

  • From: "johnwillkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 10:37:14 -0700

So, the fact that XM and Sirius both received satellite grants just a few
years ago that were conditioned on them never merging isn't a logical
argument against the merger?

Huh?

What has changed in the marketplace in the meantime except for the
disruptions caused by XM and Sirrius?  Should the FCC and DOJ let them merge
because they paid unsustainable amounts for talent and rights?

And, as for why NAB would oppose on salary grounds, try to keep up.  NAB has
many more radio members than TV members.  All members pay talent fees, or
they don't do their own programming.  The rise in talent fees caused by XM
and Sirrius competing for talent has cost their members dearly.  And, not
just at the top; they've hired talent from large, small and medium markets.

However, trying to morph that into an argument against the merger is a "hail
mary" pass at best.  The FCC's jurisdiction doesn't cover talent fees, and
talent fee payments are just business decisions by radio & TV stations.

John Willkie