[opendtv] Re: San Diego HDTV penetration

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:23:41 -0700

Bob, I tend to tire of educating you about the realities of TV, especially
since they don't stick to you all that well.

Have you ever heard of a term like "critical mass" or "market share?"

Have you ever realized that broadcasters sell advertising not based
(usually) on the number of actual viewers watching, but the share of the
market and the percentage of gross impressions that the advertiser can
expect from the placement.

If you think absolute numbers will do it for New York ahead of San Diego,
you need to talk to ANYBODY who has ever sold TV time.

If the DTV share is too small the ads won't be placed.

By the way, the WB network and CBS are airing on a regular basis, network
spots in HDTV.  I know of the commercial arrangements with one (no extra
charge) and I know not the arrangements for the other.