[opendtv] Re: Samsung new DTB-H260F at Circuit City

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 21:18:27 -0500

Okay, my "slightly better" was "slightly understated". ;-)

More of note to me is the box also does QAM, meaning it can be used (apparently without guide) for those extra cable connected Tv's in a house. Cablecard is a miserable failure but maybe unencrypted cable ready digital Tv's and boxes may replace that function of analog. Now there's a place where you probably COULD have cheap %50 converters.

Or, if they get the Samsung price down to that of the (firesale) Accurians, then they might start selling a bunch for both OTA and cable. It does seem good enough that most folks wouldn't return it for poor reception, even though the one reviewer I posted did so.

- Tom

Albert Manfredi wrote:
Tom Barry wrote:

Also a (slightly better) Peter Putnam review at HDTVExpert
<http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages_b/h260f.html>

Slightly better? Basement reception of stations over 20 miles away, with indoor antenna, doesn't quite cut it, then? Or antenna aimed 90 degrees away from the station? Doubting Thomas!

The LG receiver he's comparing it to, in my book, is 3rd gen, not 4th gen. 4th gen is the Linx, which was a newer chip.

The other review you posted, in the fringe area, isn't all that surprising. All these receivers are probably quite good at just weak signal and gaussian fading. Assuming that's what he meant by fringe area.

I was surprised by Putman's mention of 20 to 25 dBm (sic) of carrier/noise, though. Unless the Digital Stream's C/N meter is way off, I'm getting a very reliable 15 dB C/N, or just slightly more than that, as threshold C/N margin requirement. With the indoor antenna, the C/N margin might be slightly higher in some cases, but not much beyond 16 dB and change. But possibly, he's looking at a very different echo profile.

Bottom line, though, is the basement reception at 20+ miles, of multiple stations, and at 3.3 b/s/Hz.

Tom Barry                       trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx
Find my resume and video filters at www.trbarry.com