[opendtv] Re: Samsung Rep admits HDMI won't support 1080p until v.1.3

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 23:15:44 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
> At 9:43 AM -0500 11/9/05, Tom Barry wrote:
>
>>I think the final piece of the puzzle would be  60 FPS 1080p capture ->
>>720p delivery -> 1080p display, like my often posted John Watkinson
>>article sort of suggests.  The displays will become cheap, it hides the
>>pixel/raster structure even at 3 screen heights, and can be done (if you
>>must ;-) ) with MPEG-2/ATSC just fine.
>

> You are almost there!
>
> You are absolutely correct about the decoupling issues as evangelized
> by myself, John Watkinson and many others.By the way, the example
> that John typically uses is to resample to something more like 576P
> then upsample for a 720P display.

Technology inflation.

> You are still ascribing more value to a 1080@60P display than is justified.

Hey, I'm ascribing value, not trying to justify current cost.

> Now put this together with your post about your XGA projector.
>
> What you need is a display that delivers enough resolution at the
> designed viewing distance for your application, so that you cannot
> perceive the raster, but rather, a sharp TV image.

Yes, and I noted the limits of my 576p display.  They are not currently
a problem to me but would have been if I'd kept it at 4 feet tall and my
current viewing distance.

> The reality is that 720P is more than adequate until the screen size
> approaches 100 inch diagonal at 3 picture heights. This IS NOT
> practical for most homes, as the screen is about four feet tall and
> eight feet wide.

If my projector was 1080p I'd move it back a couple feet and use that 4
foot screen.  I'm not saying everybody (or most) would, only that I
would and believe I'd see a better picture given proper source (not
avail. OTA).

> Keep working on the underlying concepts here and forget about the
> numerology. There is WAY TOO MUCH EMPHASIS ON THE BIG NUMBERS, even
> as the companies pushing this kool-aid fill those screens with
> content that is pre filtered to limit resolution and trashed by
> excessive compression.

It's kool-aid only based upon current non-availability of highly
detailed source and the high prices currently being charged to early
adopters.  I think I showed with my purchase this weekend I don't intend
to pay those prices.

But we are still mostly arguing whether anyone sits 9 feet from the
screen and wants it 4 feet high.   Obviously I do and you don't.  You
say potato...

> Think system, not the specs for one component of that system.
>
> And MPEG-2 is already outdated. You will never deliver decent quality
> 1920 x 1080@60P via a 19.3 MBps ATSC channel, unless the camera is
> out of focus.

Oxymoronic, but also true I guess. ;-)

> 720P emission encoding is more than adequate for a terrestrial DTV
> broadcast system.

We do agree here.

- Tom