[opendtv] Re: Samsung Rep admits HDMI won't support 1080p until v.1.3

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 10:09:35 -0800

"What we need is HD source that has not been trashed by excessive
compression in the distribution chain." --Craig Birkmaier

Amen!

But don't you think that it would be good to have 1080@30p production?  I
realize that this requires more bits, but interlacing is also a big
problem.  Or do you think that 720@30p is good enough?  While I hope for
1080@30p production, I would rather have only 720p production if it removed
most of the artifacts.

I want to mention (though beating a dead horse) that I was so frustrated
with the compression artifacts watching NASCAR yesterday that I went to my
old NTSC TV.  But the artifacts were so bad, even the low resolution
picture looked bad!  The distribution chain needs fixin'!

Dan