[opendtv] Re: Samsung Rep admits HDMI won't support 1080p until v.1.3

  • From: Ron Economos <k6mpg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 03:04:42 -0800

The pixel rate for 1080p@60 for dual-cable HD-SDI
(SMPTE 292M and SMPTE 274M) and also DTV
over HDMI (EIA_CEA-861-B) is 148.5 MHz.

Unfortunately, the pixel rate for 1080p@60 from
computers is something over 165 MHz (as determined
by the VESA GTF). The exact pixel rate can be calculated
with this spreadsheet:

http://www.vesa.org/Public/GTF/GTF_V1R1.xls

So the problem with 1080p@60 displays and the current
crop of 165 MHz HDMI chips (or 150 MHz speed
binned parts from Silicon Image) is that you can do DTV
1080p@60, but not computer 1080p@60.

In a related area, the BBC has proposed a novel
compression scheme for 1080p@50 and 1080p@60
over single cable HD-SDI.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/whp/whp-pdf-files/WHP119.pdf

Ron