[opendtv] Re: Samsung Rep admits HDMI won't support 1080p until v.1.3

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 07:54:18 -0500

At 1:16 AM -0800 11/7/05, Richard Hollandsworth wrote:
>The Samsung Rep admitted that the current HDMI interface spec did
>not have enough bandwidth to support 1080p and that a subsequent
>HDMI v.1.3 spec was still in development that would support 1080p at
>up to 10 bits/pixel (but Samsung builds panels in 11 and 12 bit
>versions).  He had some charts to accompany the presentation.
>Proceedings are for sale at www.displaysearch.com for a mere $995.

An interesting observation, but completely irrelevant.

We are still a long, long, long way from getting 1920 x 1080 @ 30P
and 24P  to live up to their potential. 1080@60P is just a pipedream,
not to mention mostly useless, as its use would require not just a
faster HDMI port for the display, but a completely new HD production
chain upstream.

The relevance of 1920 x 1080@60P is as an oversampling display
standard, not as an acquisition and distribution standard. The
resampling needed to refresh the display at 1920 x 1080@60P takes
place INSIDE the display processor, AFTER the source has been
delivered to the display via  the HDMI (or other) input.

One could conjecture about external components that might output 1920
x 1080@60P; for example, we now have upsampling DVD players that
output 720P and 1080i. Thus someone might want to build a HD capable
DVD player that would upsample 1920 x 1080@24P to 60P. But most
display processors inside HD capable displays can already take 24P
source and upconvert it to 720@60P or 1080260i for display. No doubt,
Samsung will include this capability in ANY display that refreshes at
11080@24P.

And then there is the reality that we really do not need this extra
resolution on displays that will be used in most homes. The display
must be greater than 100 inch diagonal to gain any appreciable
benefit. What we need is HD source that has not been trashed by
excessive compression in the distribution chain. Moving to 1080@60
will only make this situation worse, unless we pre-filter to limit
the amount of detail that can be encoded.

will this stupid HD numerology game never end?