[opendtv] Re: Samsung Rep admits HDMI won't support 1080p

  • From: Olivier Houot <olho_avatar_i@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 01:35:17 +0100

> From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> And then there is the reality that we really do not need this extra
> resolution on displays that will be used in most homes. The display
> must be greater than 100 inch diagonal to gain any appreciable
> benefit.

Craig,

assuming the usual 30 cycles/degree human eye resolution, 1280x720 will
only buy you a 1.29 m 16/9 diagonal screen at a 3 meters viewing
distance, which is more like 50 inches than 100.

Now a 50 inches display will not fundamentally change your TV
experience, as modern SDTV sets already play in that ballpark. To
materialize the "home cinema" concept, you need a bigger screen than
that.

You have often said yourself that the original goal of HDTV was to
achieve a better immersion of the viewer, and that a 30° angle was the
original chosen target to that effect. At 30 cyc/deg, and 30° total
viewing angle you unavoidably need 1800 pixels so this is 1920x1080.

Then if you want to get over the endless 720p vs 1080i debate, and take
advantage of the higher picture quality produced by progressive scanning
in all situations including sports, it is 1920x1080@60P.

The absence of an established base of 1080@60p receivers is not a
justification to avoid production in that format. The working principle
has always been, for TV or radio : "build the transmission chain and the
viewers will come".

The chain does not even need to be fully 60p compliant at the beginning,
the only requirement is it should not go dark when 60p is transmitted.
On the source side, material can be upconverted if the production tools
are not full 60P. The current bitrates for terrestrial transmission
should be enough for 60P with H.264, especially in Europe, and of
course, one can downconvert at will to adjust for the display
capabilities. Once such a minimal basis is established, devices on all
points of the chain can gradually and transparently evolve to full 60P
capability.

The most demanding requirement would be for the AVC decoder, as it
absolutely has to be able to handle 60 P . I am under the impression it
is not possible to extract a 30p or 60i stream from  60P AVC coded
material without completely decoding it. The inherent parallelism of
picture processing, and the current trend towards multi-core processors,
however, should get over that obstacle soon enough.

To Donald Koeleman:
A 300P camera is impressive, but i take it it was not HDTV, was it ?