[opendtv] Re: Samsung Prototype ATSC Receiver Test Report

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 14:46:41 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

> Either way I think it still reflects some ongoing
> price drop.  Probably no one will be buying $300
> ATSC-only boxes from now on.

I think this is correct. I believe that Bob Miller
is right that the $90 price on the Radio Shack STB
is a clearance price. But if history is to be our
guide, the new boxes replacing this one will retail
for only slightly more than that clearance price at
first, then drop below it. And so on.

This also happened with the left-over ONdigital
STBs when Freeview started, IIRC.

So while it might be true that the 2:1 difference
symbol rate in 8-VSB compared with 64-QAM creates
the need for more taps on the equalizer, increasing
its cost at equal performance levels, (a) there are
other considerations involved in a DFE that might
favor the fewer correct levels in 8-VSB compared
with 64-QAM, and (b) ultimately the difference
becomes inconsequential anyway. When you see the
price of HD 8-VSB STBs converging with the price of
SD COFDM STBs, surely you have to conclude that any
potential cost advantage of QAM as opposed to VSB
becomes mostly academic.