[opendtv] Re: Samsung 100" display

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:46:19 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> For a panel this size, you need 2 Mpixel resolution,
> if it is to be viewed at about 3 picture heights.
>
> Now try answering these questions Bert.
>
> 1. Since one substrate can be used to produce four
> panels in the 40-60 inch range or one 102 inch panel,
> what percentage of panels do you think will be the
> big ones?

Thanks for the slow pitches.

Higher and higher percentage, as the price of each
substrate comes down.

Higher and higher percentage, as other production
techniques are developed.

And this assumes I even agree that 1080 is only useful
for such large sizes. Since I haven't personally done
a comparison of 720p vs 1080i or 1080p at sizes of 50"
or greater, nor have I seen objective test results to
answer the specific question, I just won't commit to a
religious dogma.

By the way, in my search for a Christmas toy, I saw
some amazingly nice LCD 40" rear projection sets for
just over $2000. This is pretty incredible, and surely
the harbinger of a trend. I couldn't believe the
price comparison between these huge sets and the still
rather expensive direct view LCDs. Care to guess what
50" and 60" rear projection LCDs will cost one or two
years from now?

> 2. How much do you think a 102 inch panel will cost?

Is this one of those arguments that is only valid for
the next year or two?

> 3. What percentage of the 102 inch panels will be
> sold for consumer home entertainment applications
> versus business and special venue display
> applications?

Again you're obsessing over optimizing to a particular
display. These media are supposed to be compatible
with *all* consumer products. Not just the cheaper
ones. The sets on which the software is played will
vary according to the buyer's wallet.

Same goes with broadcast signals. You don't optimize
to one receiver type. You provide the best signal
possible given the channel capacity constraints.