[opendtv] Re: S-Vid as Good as Component?

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 20:48:03 -0500

John Shutt wrote:
Once you hit digital compression, talking about color difference "bandwidth" is almost meaningless. The answer is always "depends." It depends on which portion of the screen you're talking about (one part may be heavily macroblocked, while another part of the same frame is fine.) It depends on the bitrate and how challenging the scene is to compress. It depends on the specs of the digital to analog decoder.

The bandwidths for 480, 720, and 1080 are different, because of the number of pixels (and macroblocks) per horizontal line. How different? Depends. See paragraph above.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Cliff Benham" <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Are the bandwidths different for 480 i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p?

What I'd like to find is a good reference that states the bandwidth of the R-y and B-y [or pB and pR]
component signals for these various formats.
I guess I should have stated that I want to know the bandwidth of the oroginal color difference signals as they hit the first A2D and then when they come out of the D2A to the jacks on the DVD player. I can't do anything about it at any point in the process, but I would like to know how they originated and whqat they are when I finally get them in analog.
Cliff