[opendtv] STBs now available...one year to go

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 20:37:06 -0500

Radio Shack is now selling the ATSC in--NTSC out STBs and the performance
from the one I got today is great!

The box is a DTX9900 by Digital Stream Technology, Inc., Torrance, CA.
but states "Made in China" and sells for $59.99

It found 18 digital RF channels [all UHF in my area] using auto scan in about a minute and provides 38 programs from those 18 channels. No breakups. blockies, audio dropouts or frozen images during the Nascar race this afternoon. It was a pleasure to watch.

I watched an NBC hockey game in HD from both WCAU and WBAL. There is very good image detail when tuned to an HD program, far more than when watching an up converted NTSC program. It /looks like/ HD! This from a STB that outputs /only /NTSC//.

The TV being used for testing is a 38 inch 16:9 RCA CRT set in my living room.

The only drawback watching an HD program is some aliasing visible on diagonals when viewing on this set with it's circa 1999 internal up converter. I have not tried to view the STB's signal
on an NTSC analog set or through an external processor feeding the set's
component inputs.

The EPG displays immediately. It provides about 4 hours of future programming for the channel being watched. I changed channels and new EPG was displayed immediately, no waiting.

The STB can be set to output anamorphic, 16:9, 14:9 or Zoom video depending on the set's
screen shape.  The remote control is very easy to use and is laid out well.

The antenna here at home is a 7 ft dia. parabolic reflector with a double bow tie feeding a mast mounted preamp. The two markets received are Philadelphia and Baltimore.

Reception via this STB is on a par with that of the Philips DVDR3575H/37 ATSC receiver.

Cliff