[opendtv] STB multipath performance

  • From: Doug McDonald <dtvmcdonald@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 12:09:09 -0700 (PDT)

Since I recently purchased a second STB, last night
I compared the performance of the Samsung SIRT151
and the Motorola HD101 (or close).

The Motorola has much better multipath performance.

I was able to get reliable operation on a Ch.18
digital (at full power) adjacent to its own analog
at Ch. 17 ... with the antenna set so that Ch. 17
showed a ghost at about 5 microseconds that was,
as simply looked at on the TV, very near 0 dB.
One could adjust the antenna, however, into
a critical range where the digital did not work; here
the analog seemed very snowy.

I was unable to get such reception on a Ch. 22
digital adjacent to its own Ch. 23 analog, because
they seem to be a much weaker digital signal. I was
able,
however, to get reliable reception on that station
with the analog showing a -3 or -5 dB PREecho
at about 300 ns.

All other stations showed the digital pooping out at
over wide ranges of the antenna direction, but
all these dropped out as the signal level meter
smoothly went to the low-signal end of the scale.
They are either low power stations or very far away,
and none are on adjacent channels to the analog so
a look at the analog picture is not useful.

=====
Doug McDonald
my last name at scs dot uiuc dot edu, not here at Yahoo, please