[opendtv] Re: STB locks into Ch 4-2

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 11:41:56 -0500

Stephen W. Long wrote:

> Bert, my Accurian does the same thing.  I think it is
> an overheating problem.  I turn my off and the next
> day it works fine.  SWL

Many thanks for the extra data point, Stephen.

With this new info, I think that perhaps the problem is one of those
barely-within-margins sort of thing, perhaps associated with PSIP as
implemented in the Accurian. The fact that the STB might be more
susceptible when warm does not necessarily mean that it's getting
overheated. In fact, my Accurian runs nice and cool, even after being on
for some time.

Here are some facts that occurred after that post, to support this
theory.

I tried the next day, right after arriving at home, and the (stone cold)
Accurian box was still having this problem with 4-2. And the cure was
the same: power down, then power up while pressing the channel up or
down button, until the system starts receiving a station again, to knock
it off 4-2. I also found that you canscroll right on past 4-2 with no
problem. It's just allowing 4-2 to sync up that then creates this
freeze.

Then I went upstairs and tried the Digital Stream 3150 Plus, a newer
variant of the same design, and it seemed to be fine. Also, the Accurian
was fine with respect to 4-2 before. I'm sure I scrolled through 4-2
many times, with no problem. That's what makes me think maybe something
right on the hairy edge.

Also, in private e-mail yesterday, I was informed that and older Samsung
box exhibited exactly the same symptom. The problem, in their case, was
traced to a PSIP parameter not being updated quite as frequently as the
Samsung box expected. Samsung provided a patch which solved the problem.
I suppose that patch made the PSIP code in the Samsung more tolerant of
PSIP parameter updates being out of spec. Possibly the same issue here.