[opendtv] Re: STB hunting

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 12:49:46 -0500

Mark Schubin wrote:

>> But you get "perfect" reception with window placement
>> of the indoor antenna, right? Not "good," but
>> "perfect."
>
> Yes.  And your point is?
>
> Who puts a TV in front of a window?

Why, me, of course! As someone who depends on analog,
and is unwilling to put up with bad reception, I can
safely say that I've *never* relied on the antenna
placed on, or built into, the TV set. Never.

In our upstairs setup, still NTSC only, window
placement is not what we use. The best signal is with
antenna placed on top of the whole cabinet, close to
the ceiling.

> Once again, you've contradicted your statement
> about NTSC viewing being training for DTT reception.

I contradicted nothing. Users of OTA understand the
concept of trying different antenna placements and
antenna aim, even just for receiving two different
(analog) stations. I thought that was clear.

> Except for the Washington ABC outlet (and, by
> extension, the network, its advertisers, and its
> programming suppliers).

Not quite, Mark. Reread the piece. His reception of
ABC was fine except for certain (indoor) antenna
placements, and from experience I would expect he can
work even that problem out. And better receivers
helped him as well, as would an outdoor antenna.

As I said, the piece is hardly negative. Here's is
the part that we're referring to:

http://tinyurl.com/bvqkj

"By turning a basic set-top antenna supplied by RCA
one way, I could get NBC, Fox, ABC and WETA but not
CBS; when I turned the antenna another way, Fox, ABC,
CBS and Maryland Public Television came through, but
not NBC and WETA."

"But with further experimentation, I was able to pull
in all those local stations, and only ABC came in
shakily."

"I repeated these reception tests with the digital
tuner built into a Dish Network satellite-TV receiver
and got even better results with the cheap, old
antenna."