[opendtv] Re: STB hunting

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:24:13 -0500

Mark Schubin wrote:

>> Seems to me that anyone depending on NTSC to begin
>> with will have a leg up on transitioning. Because
>> they will already have had to figure out how to get
>> good reception of OTA stations.
>
> I don't think so -- on two counts:
>
> 1.  I get good NTSC reception with set-top rabbit
> ears.  Not even the very latest prototype Samsung
> receiver could get DTT stations here that way
> (although the 5th-generation LG could).

But you get "perfect" reception with window placement
of the indoor antenna, right? Not "good," but
"perfect."

Fortunately, anecdotes cut both ways. This is a glass
half full/glass half empty sort of thing.

I get atrocious NTSC reception of MHz Networks on
Channel 56. It's so bad that you periodically lose
sync on the NTSC signal, with any of the three antennas
I have. I guess the biggest problem is that the
transmitter is located way to the west of all others,
with a hill in the way, and there's no big incentive for
me to accommodate that.

And yet, with the *VHF* omni, I get a solid signal of
its digital channel 30. The SNR hovers upwards of 16.5 dB
consistently. Not bad, getting solid recetion with that
sort of SNR, considering this cannot be a gaussian
channel. And with what must be a 3rd gen receiver, even.

And not only that, but this same VHF omni gets me most
other local DTT channels as well. So DTT reception can
be easier than analog, unless you're satisified with a
truly abysmal analog picture. Which I am not, since OTA
is my source of TV signal.

> 2.  Have you seen what many people watch (in terms of
> snow and ghosts)?  Yeesh!

Exactly. Digital is simply different, and far better than
analog, depending on one's point of view.

I noticed even in that Wash Post piece you posted that
the author was not a habitual OTA user. So to him, having
to figure out the best antenna placement was a brand new
experience. And yet, the piece was hardly negative.