[opendtv] Re: STB hunting

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:11:47 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> I also think it likely that many NTSC homes after
> the cutoff will purchase a new entry level
> integrated TV, and then watch only whichever channels
> happen to work with that TV and their existing
> antenna.

Probably so. Seems to me that anyone depending on
NTSC to begin with will have a leg up on transitioning.
Because they will already have had to figure out how
to get good reception of OTA stations. In addition to
that, TV stations that locate their DTT antennas on
a different tower from their NTSC antenna will hopefully
assign DTT to their best facility close to NSTC cutoff
date, where now it seems obvious that they give NTSC
priority.

By the way, yesterday's announcement about WB and UPN
merging might make my lack of digital UPN reception a
non-problem. Assuming they use the WB transmitters, that
is. Better yet, someone else might buy the UPN
facilities and offer something new ... and pay more
attention to their DT signal!