[opendtv] Re: SINCLAIR TO AIR "A POW STORY: POLITICS, PRESSUREAND THE MEDIA"

  • From: Mark Aitken <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:30:34 -0400

I can assure you that what is aired on the News Special "A POW STORY:
POLITICS, PRESSURE AND THE MEDIA" has been researched. Bob, I look
forward to your commentary after viewing its content. Until then, all is
speculation on your (and others) parts. Let freedom reign, and let truth
be told. All else is fodder for the masses...
Dewey Weaver wrote:

>Bob - thank you for your service to this country. Bush was honorably
>discharged. Flying F4s over the GOM was not exactly a risk free endeavor. John
>Kerry volunteered and put himself in the line of fire then gave comfort to the
>enemy in Paris while he was still an officer in the Navy. Aren't you
>interested in seeing the 100 or so pages of his military records that he
>refuses to release? Bush released all of his... why doesn't John Kerry do the
>same? What does he have to hide?

Dewey: A hint regarding your question from a New York paper. Bob, do you
have your views on the questions asked? Perhaps Kerry ought to speak for
himself, and let all be seen...

http://www.nysun.com/article/3107

        <http://www.nysun.com>  <https://www.nysun.com/subscribe.php>

*October 13, 2004 Edition > Section: National
<http://www.nysun.com/section/2> > Printer-Friendly Version*

    Mystery Surrounds Kerry's Navy Discharge

BY THOMAS LIPSCOMB - Special to the Sun
October 13, 2004

An official Navy document on Senator Kerry's campaign Web site listed as
Mr. Kerry's "Honorable Discharge from the Reserves" opens a door on a
well kept secret about his military service.

The document is a form cover letter in the name of the Carter
administration's secretary of the Navy, W. Graham Claytor. It describes
Mr. Kerry's discharge as being subsequent to the review of "a board of
officers." This in it self is unusual. There is nothing about an
ordinary honorable discharge action in the Navy that requires a review
by a board of officers.

According to the secretary of the Navy's document, the "authority of
reference" this board was using in considering Mr. Kerry's record was
"Title 10, U.S. Code Section 1162 and 1163. "This section refers to the
grounds for involuntary separation from the service. What was being
reviewed, then, was Mr. Kerry's involuntary separation from the service.
And it couldn't have been an honorable discharge, or there would have
been no point in any review at all. The review was likely held to
improve Mr. Kerry's status of discharge from a less than honorable
discharge to an honorable discharge.

A Kerry campaign spokesman, David Wade, was asked whether Mr. Kerry had
ever been a victim of an attempt to deny him an honorable discharge.
There has been no response to that inquiry.

The document is dated February 16, 1978. But Mr. Kerry's military
commitment began with his six-year enlistment contract with the Navy on
February 18, 1966. His commitment should have terminated in 1972. It is
highly unlikely that either the man who at that time was a Vietnam
Veterans Against the War leader, John Kerry, requested or the Navy
accepted an additional six year reserve commitment. And the Claytor
document indicates proceedings to reverse a less than honorable
discharge that took place sometime prior to February 1978.

The most routine time for Mr. Kerry's discharge would have been at the
end of his six-year obligation, in 1972. But how was it most likely to
have come about?

NBC's release this March of some of the Nixon White House tapes about
Mr. Kerry show a great deal of interest in Mr. Kerry by Nixon and his
executive staff, including, perhaps most importantly, Nixon's special
counsel, Charles Colson. In a meeting the day after Mr. Kerry's Senate
testimony, April 23, 1971, Mr. Colson attacks Mr. Kerry as a "complete
opportunist...We'll keep hitting him, Mr. President."

Mr. Colson was still on the case two months later, according to a memo
he wrote on June 15,1971, that was brought to the surface by the Houston
Chronicle. "Let's destroy this young demagogue before he becomes another
Ralph Nader." Nixon had been a naval officer in World War II. Mr. Colson
was a former Marine captain. Mr. Colson had been prodded to find "dirt"
on Mr. Kerry, but reported that he couldn't find any.

The Nixon administration ran FBI surveillance on Mr. Kerry from
September 1970 until August 1972. Finding grounds for an other than
honorable discharge, however, for a leader of the Vietnam Veterans
Against the War, given his numerous activities while still a reserve
officer of the Navy, was easier than finding "dirt."

For example, while America was still at war, Mr. Kerry had met with the
North Vietnamese and Viet Cong delegation to the Paris Peace talks in
May 1970 and then held a demonstration in July 1971 in Washington to try
to get Congress to accept the enemy's seven point peace proposal without
a single change. Woodrow Wilson threw Eugene Debs, a former presidential
candidate, in prison just for demonstrating for peace negotiations with
Germany during World War I. No court overturned his imprisonment. He had
to receive a pardon from President Harding.

Mr. Colson refused to answer any questions about his activities
regarding Mr. Kerry during his time in the Nixon White House. The
secretary of the Navy at the time during the Nixon presidency is the
current chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, Senator Warner.
A spokesman for the senator, John Ullyot, said, "Senator Warner has no
recollection that would either confirm or challenge any representation
that Senator Kerry received a less than honorable discharge."

The "board of officers" review reported in the Claytor document is even
more extraordinary because it came about "by direction of the
President." No normal honorable discharge requires the direction of the
president. The president at that time was James Carter. This adds
another twist to the story of Mr. Kerry's hidden military records.

Mr. Carter's first act as president was a general amnesty for draft
dodgers and other war protesters. Less than an hour after his
inauguration on January 21, 1977, while still in the Capitol building,
Mr. Carter signed Executive Order 4483 empowering it. By the time it
became a directive from the Defense Department in March 1977 it had been
expanded to include other offenders who may have had general, bad
conduct, dishonorable discharges, and any other discharge or sentence
with negative effect on military records. In those cases the directive
outlined a procedure for appeal on a case by case basis before a board
of officers. A satisfactory appeal would result in an improvement of
discharge status or an honorable discharge.

Mr. Kerry has repeatedly refused to sign Standard Form 180, which would
allow the release of all his military records. And some of his various
spokesmen have claimed that all his records are already posted on his
Web site. But the Washington Post already noted that the Naval Personnel
Office admitted that they were still withholding about 100 pages of files.

If Mr. Kerry was the victim of a Nixon "enemies list" hit, one might
have expected him to wear it like a badge of honor, like many others
such as his friend Daniel Ellsberg, who leaked the Pentagon Papers,
CBS's Daniel Schorr, or the actor Paul Newman, who had made Mr. Colson's
original list of 20 "enemies."

There are a number of categories of discharges besides honorable. There
are general discharges, medical discharges, bad conduct discharges, as
well as other than honorable and dishonorable discharges. There is one
odd coincidence that gives some weight to the possibility that Mr. Kerry
was dishonorably discharged. Mr. Kerry has claimed that he lost his
medal certificates and that is why he asked that they be reissued. But
when a dishonorable discharge is issued, all pay benefits, and
allowances, and all medals and honors are revoked as well. And five
months after Mr. Kerry joined the U.S. Senate in 1985, on one single
day, June 4, all of Mr. Kerry's medals were reissued.

--

Regards,
Mark A. Aitken Director, Advanced Technology

***********************************
Sinclair Broadcast Group
10706 Beaver Dam Road
Hunt Valley, MD 21030
Business TEL: (410) 568-1535
Business MOBILE: (443) 677-4425
Business FAX: (410) 568-1580
E-mail: maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
Text PAGE: page.maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
www.newscentral.tv
www.sbgi.net
===================================
"There never was a good war
or bad peace...."

~ ~ ~ Benjamin Franklin ~ ~ ~
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain
confidential information intended only for the person(s) to whom this
email message is addressed.  If you have received this email message in
error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or email and
destroy the original message without making a copy.  Thank you.