[opendtv] Re: SI 8 day carousel

  • From: prinyar.boon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 09:45:55 +0100

Hi John

Sorry - but I've no idea as to the specifics of this implementation - full
credit to Keith Hayler and the team for pulling this off.

Prin
Subject:    [opendtv] Re: SI 8 day carousel
Author: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:       03/08/2004 11:50

Pin;

Whose products are being used for this EPG system?

What I find to be an overcome challenge is working within the DVB-SI
structure, and still permitting local program insertion into the EPG feed.
That sounds like some heavy lifting was done -- or a horrible kludge.

Of course, the real challenge is dynamic listing features.  How quickly can
the system respond to a simultaneous schedule change (unrelated) at each
station?

Author: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:       03/08/2004 17:31

<>

But perhaps the most significant development illustrating the chasm betwe=
en
ATSC and DVB in overall system integration (ie having a PSIP or SI system=

which actually works24x7x365 with all receivers and supports reliable OTA=

downloads) is the launch of a nationwide eight day EPG for Freeview
complete with local insertion capabilities for commercial and BBC
broadcasters last week. =

This supports the development of a full DTV PVR business model: my Pace
Twin DTT PVR box  (now available for UK =A3229 on the web) has succesfull=
recorded programmes a week ahead using the extended DVB-SI scheduling
system which forms the backbone of the EPG for PVR boxes. More details on=

the front page of the dtg.org.uk web site this week. I expect this will
have the biggest impact on DTT in the UK as a viable subscription free PV=
business will emerge offering a challenge to Sky+ which remains a niche
high-end product.

<>