[opendtv] SFNs waste frequency spectrum

  • From: "Allen Le Roy Limberg" <allimberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 16:20:57 -0400

SFNs are wasteful of spectrum, severely reducing the amount of payload that
can be transmitted compared to using repeaters on different channels,
supposing one wishes to avoid spectrum nulls in regions where coverage areas
overlap.  This is very evident with 8VSB, where spectrum nulls are best
avoided by staggering the transmission times of the various transmitters.
But it is also the case with COFDM, where the coding to overcome spectrum
nulls is the mechanism that reduces the amount of payload that can be
transmitted.

A regional broadcast system would preferably employ frequency diversity, so
signals from two RF channels could be combined during parallel digital
processing of the two channels in the receiver.  This would provide better
reception in regions where coverage areas overlap, without requiring
spatial-diversity antennas.

Al