[opendtv] Re: SFN response to Craig's post

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 17:10:30 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> At a minimum, Nat is correct.

I'm very glad to hear you say that, since it is what both Dale and I
have been suggesting for (literally) years.

> But Bert still has it wrong. IT is not necessary to have a forest
> of transmitters to cover a market with SFNs. The AVSB NAB demo
> was restrained for obvious cost and complexity reasons. As Media
> Flo demonstrates, it can be done with a small number of medium
> powered sticks.

As I mentioned already, the MediaFLO network covers only Wash DC, Balt,
Phila, and NYC, and a ribbon of highway between them. Many areas now
covered by big sticks are disenfranchised, and I already listed a few
(one was the MD Eastern Shore).

In short, it takes 30 medium powered sticks, meaning multiple 10s of KW
ERP per stick, so no small fry, to cover a smaller overall area than is
now covered by OTA broadcaster towers with 4 big sticks (DC, Balt,
Phila, NYC).

Now, I will grant you that ease of reception should be a factor in
making that comparison. However, you won't find the dense and wide area
SFN any easier to receive a long distance away than the big sticks. More
the opposite, thanks to the mutual interference.

Maybe in certain locations inside the SFN, reception will be easier than
it would be from big sticks. But the better the receivers are, the LESS
they need an SFN for ease of reception. And OCRs would also help
matters, without having to count on very large numbers of them to cover
the market area.

Also, it bears repeating that cell networks work as well as they do for
two main reasons: they are not SFNs, and each client conducts a
negotation with each cell tower to obtain a connection.