[opendtv] SFGate: No fees, no wires, just TV on a tablet, startup promises

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 23:19:08 +0000

I think this is sort of humorous: "Oh yeah, Supreme Court? Put this in your
pipe and smoke it!"

Take the Aereo design, give individuals their own tiny TV antenna and
ATSC-to-WiFi converter, not dime-sized but palm-sized this time, offer the
package for a one-time purchasing fee, between $50 and $100 for a so-called
"T-pod,", and you're done.

The part I want to know more about is the ATSC receiver. No mention of using
ATSC-MH, which makes this all the more interesting.

The fact that this receiver/converter/PVR is a one-time purchase, by individual
owners, SHOULD make this uncontroversial. Although it too violates some of the
excuses we heard wrt Aereo. Specifically, this is still streaming live TV to
Internet appliances, so for those who insist that you need a "license" to allow
this, they might still complain. It will be interesting to watch. My guess is,
this time around, even the Supreme Court won't be able to object (using the
argument "how is this different from cable TV?").

They mention streaming to tablets, and having to install an "app" in the
tablet. No mention of streaming to other IP appliances, such as PCs.

Tangentially, have broadcasters stopped using ATSC-MH? I noticed that one of
our broadcasters here has gone back to their original set of multicasts, which
they had cut back to offer the MH signals. And also, perhaps in response to the
impending auction threat, I just noticed that our Univision affiliate just
added another two subchannels, for a total of four program streams now, three
of which are in English. So as of this morning, I'm getting 52 TV program
streams OTA. Not half bad.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/No-fees-no-wires-just-TV-on-a-tablet-startup-5708348.php

No fees, no wires, just TV on a tablet, startup promises
Benny Evangelista
Updated 8:18 am, Sunday, August 24, 2014

Bay Area television viewers may soon have one more reason to cut the cord with
cable and satellite companies thanks to a service that brings free over-the-air
TV to tablet computers.

It's called Tablet TV, which doesn't require Wi-Fi, a cellular connection or a
subscription fee. All that customers need is an iPad or Android tablet and one
of the startup's antenna devices costing less than $100.

And it's backed by Granite Broadcasting, owner of independent San Francisco
station KOFY. At a time when viewers have more choices than ever - from Netflix
to YouTube to 500-plus cable channels - Granite sees Tablet TV as a way to lure
viewers back to broadcast television, without the need for a television at all.

"This puts the broadcasters back into the driver's seat," said Peter Markham,
chairman and CEO of Granite Broadcasting. "Now we're going to a one-to-one
relationship with the viewer, which the broadcast industry has never had."

Tablet TV is a 2-year-old joint venture between Granite, a New York company
that operates stations in six markets, and Motive Television, a London
technology company focused on the TV industry.

In the U.S., Tablet TV would be a throwback to the days before cable and
satellite became dominant, when everyone relied on rooftop antennas or set-top
rabbit ears to tune in.

If Tablet TV can prove that the technology is reliable, easy to use and cheaper
than subscription TV, it could lead to "a little bit of a renaissance in
over-the-air television," said analyst Brett Sappington of the Dallas research
firm Parks Associates.

Since February, Granite and Motive engineers have conducted a closed test at
KOFY. But the venture plans a more widespread beta test starting in early
September, with the service set to begin on Black Friday, the traditional
day-after-Thanksgiving kickoff of holiday shopping.

Betting on S.F.

If all goes well in the Bay Area, Tablet TV will take its show to other cities.

"Our theory is if we can make it work in San Francisco and people like it, the
rest of the country will be easier, because people here are connoisseurs of
media and technology," Motive CEO Leonard Fertig said. "We are placing our bet
with San Francisco with this thing."

The gamble comes at a time when cable and satellite providers worry about the
rising trend of cord cutting, a term used when people watch video on the
Internet instead of subscribing to traditional, and costlier, pay TV services.

About 7.6 million U.S. households have cut the cord, a 44 percent increase from
2010, according to a recent report by research firm Experian Marketing Services.

In an even more worrisome trend for pay TV services, Experian said 67 percent
of younger adults watch streamed or downloaded video during a typical week.
Many younger adults bypass pay TV services and go right to online sources like
Netflix and Hulu.

The explosion in tablet use is part of the shift. Parks Associates said about
61 percent of all U.S. homes with high-speed Internet own at least one tablet,
and found that the weekly video viewing time on tablets has increased from an
average of a half hour in 2012 to 1.3 hours this year.

Tablet TV hopes to capitalize on that trend with a device Motive calls a T-Pod
- a palm-size digital TV antenna, tuner and digital recorder. The company
hasn't settled on a price, but Fertig said Tablet TV expects to sell T-Pods for
between $50 to $100.

The rechargeable T-Pods can capture over-the-air digital TV signals and
retransmit them to tablets using their own Wi-Fi signal. They work both indoors
and outdoors, but must be within 100 feet of the tablet. The companion tablet
app decodes the signal and shows the programs. The app includes a program guide
and chat service, and users change channels with a simple swipe.

The programming isn't limited to KOFY's platter of reruns and syndicated shows
- the antenna-tuner is designed to pull in any digital TV signal within range,
including those from the local affiliates of CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX and PBS.

58 Bay Area channels

During a recent demonstration at San Francisco International Airport, Fertig
found 58 over-the-air TV signals, including the various secondary channels
broadcast by stations like KQED and KNTV. In larger markets, he said, there are
as many as 120 available channels.

And Tablet TV wants to compete with pay TV providers in another way - the T-Pod
is also a DVR, able to record programs using its built-in flash drive and the
tablet's available memory. The company has plans to eventually offer storage in
the cloud.

Fertig said Tablet TV plans to offer video on demand three months after its
service begins. That service needs a local TV station to transmit the signal -
here it would be Granite's KOFY.

Tablet TV might have a hard time breaking the entrenched hold of cable and
satellite providers, which the majority of U.S. households rely on even for
over-the-air signals. "Once you get cable, why would you go looking for
over-the-air channels?" Brett Sappington of Parks Associates said.

But Fertig argued that pay TV's specialized networks offer only about 15
percent of what viewers watch.

The most popular shows - "NBC Sunday Night Football" and CBS' "The Big Bang
Theory" topped the Nielsen ratings last season - and local news are on
broadcast stations.

"We're not saying turn off your cable," Fertig said. "But what people are
really buying is that 15 percent" of programming.

Tablet TV's main competitor will remain big-screen, living room HDTVs. The
Parks Associates study found that U.S. households still watch an average of 20
hours a week on their TVs.

A secondary option

But Tablet TV positions itself as a secondary option for backyards, bedrooms or
commuter trains, and Sappington said that portability could help the service
find an audience.

Live mobile TV is already a hit in countries outside the U.S. where cable TV is
not as entrenched, and in Asian markets, mobile phones have integrated
over-the-air TV tuners, he said.

And a recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling that shut down New York startup Aereo,
which retransmitted over-the-air TV broadcasts online, showed "there really was
an appetite for broadcast TV among consumers," Sappington said.

The court found that Aereo violated copyright laws. Tablet TV, however, is
backed by an industry that owns broadcast rights and will probably embrace a
service that lets them capture more viewers and advertising dollars, Sappington
said.

Benny Evangelista is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer. E-mail:
bevangelista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Twitter: ChronicleBenny