[opendtv] Re: (S) DTV adaptors available for less than 50 euros in France

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 10:50:54 -0400

> There are practical limits on how many errors can be corrected using
> Reed-Solomon codes.  IIRC, with ATSC it's around 10 per second.  On my DTV
> tuner cards, it's either a low number of uncorrected packets (or none) or
> it's no usable signal at all.
>
> Codecs are at least one layer away from this matter.

You can also put error correction at the data level, and do it better
yet than the bit-error-correction of RS by using packet erasure
correction. You could recover a burst of lost packets using this approach.

Codecs like windows media already have EC in their transport (I won't go
any further than that, I am not a supporter of proprietary codecs). For
ones that don't, you can always wrapper them. Ofcourse this is an
additional hit on your decoder (leaky bucket delay), CPU and memory,
depending on how you post-process these blocks and how far you spread
the erasure coding.

Cheers
Kon