[opendtv] Re: (S) DTV adaptors available for less than 50 euros in France

  • From: "Gary Sullivan" <garysull@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:10:27 -0700

Re

+> -----Original Message-----
+> From: opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx=20
+> [mailto:opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Manfredi, Albert E
+> Sent: Monday, September 19, 2005 12:16 PM
+> To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
+> Subject: [opendtv] Re: (S) DTV adaptors available for less=20
+> than 50 euros in France
+>=20
+> Dan Grimes wrote:
+>=20
+> > I think it is fair to say that because of the performance
+> > improvements, [AVC] allows for longer times between I
+> > frames, thus helping lower the bit rate for the same
+> > picture quality.
+>=20
+> Indeed. The open question is this. For the examples in
+> SDTV and HDTV streams where a panel of judges said that AVC
+> provided 50 percent or greater bit rate reduction, compared
+> with MPEG-2, how did the GOP of the AVC stream compare with
+> the GOP of the MPEG-2 stream?
+>=20
+> Simple enough to find out, for those who have the data on
+> these tests. I don't remember that detail ever being
+> provided in the results.
+>=20
+> Bert

In the case of the MPEG formal "verification tests", the GOP lengths
were always equal for both codecs being compared. =20
The test report is publicly available, and additional papers discussing
the test methodology have also been published.
If you don't want to take my word for it, let me know and I'll show you
where it says that in the report.  The same is also true of every other
test of a similar nature of which I'm aware.

-Gary Sullivan

+>=20
+> =20
+> =20
+> -------------------------------------------------------------
+> You can UNSUBSCRIBE from the OpenDTV list in two ways:
+>=20
+> - Using the UNSUBSCRIBE command in your user configuration=20
+> settings at FreeLists.org=20
+>=20
+> - By sending a message to: opendtv-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx=20
+> with the word unsubscribe in the subject line.
+>=20
+>=20