[opendtv] Re: (S) DTV adaptors available for less than 50 euros in France

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 13:58:50 -0400

Dan Grimes wrote:

> Can you elaborate on why the GOP needs to be fixed for
> proper comparison? It seems to me that if all those
> improvements in AVC allowed for a longer GOP while
> still maintaining the same picture quality, this should
> be considered part of the efficiency improvement.

Of course. I would think it makes a lot more sense to
come up with ways to accommodate the longer GOP.

One thing I was wondering was why not create a "default"
I frame in the receiver, built from the first available
P frame and some place fillers. So when channel surfing,
the receiver would sync up quickly, provide audio, a
bad picture at first, then improved picture as real I
frames show up or after a scene change?