[opendtv] Re: Retransmission Replies Reflect Industry Schism

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 08:31:47 -0400

Heh heh. The NFL sides with broadcasters, because the NFL wants to remain capable of blacking out games in the market where they are being played.

If the national caps were lifted, the NFL would be in a bit of a pickle.

Why?

They negotiate contracts with the congloms. As long as Congress keeps giving them the anti trust exemption that makes these blackouts possible, they will require blackouts in home markets when a game is sold out. It's not like there is just one transmitter for the entire country. Even if the congloms could own every station in every market, they would still have the ability to deliver regional feeds and to blackout coverage, if necessary to meet contractual agreements.

In fact, what would be most likely is that the congloms would provide regional feeds with news and other programming targeting that region. The infrastructure is already in place to do this. My guess is that we would see about 8 regional operation centers:

Upper Atlantic  - New York hub
Mid Atlantic - Washington hub
South East - Atlanta or Miami hub
Lower midwest- Dallas hub