[opendtv] Re: Report: Desktops slump, mobile systems rise

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 08:56:54 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Birkmaier" <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
SO?

This is just a persistent background task. It is NO DIFFERENT than any of the online backup services that are being sold today. It may take a while to set up the locker, but once it is set-up, only incremental changes need to be stored. And the whole point with cloud based media services is that you will download new media files to the locker, then stream different versions that are appropriate for each device. If you buy or rent a movie from Apple or Amazon, moving the bits to your locker is either a local server transaction at the data center, or at worst, a high speed backbone transfer to a different data center.

We're not talking about streaming movies from Apple or Amazon. We're talking about displacing the home desktop with a portable device as a primary computing device.

Back to the original article and it's presumption. You have a limited storage tablet or laptop. I can see a desktop with "persistence" for such a task (my argument) but not a portable device. Unless you want to run up your connectivity bill everywhere you go because there is a ton of vacation photos in the upload cue.