[opendtv] Re: Report: Desktops slump, mobile systems rise

  • From: Kon Wilms <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 11:12:28 -0700

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 10:59 AM, John Shutt <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Little hurdle?  You continue to ignore how absurdly lopsided home internet
> service is.  Most home internet service is purposely crippled in upload
> speed to make more bandwidth in the pipe available for lightning fast
> download speeds.

Exactly. I'm so tired of hearing 'cloud' attached to anything. A cloud
is a bunch of servers in one or more datacenters. I guarantee many of
you woud be shocked to see some 'cloud' services - I've seen ones
running on desktop PCs, shoved haphazardly into racks, fronted by a
fancy looking website and some VC funding. Also, file storage is a far
bigger problem to solve than server image storage, and usually
requires a completely different design in the 'cloud'.

Cheers
Kon