[opendtv] Re: Remote control design

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 09:04:07 -0500

At 11:38 PM +0000 3/10/13, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

You're being obtuse, Craig.

No Bert, I am being realistic. If you are searching for something while watching a program, you must use some form of User Interface, on the big screen, or a second screen. It really doesn't matter, since you are searching, not watching.

I would also point out that many studies have shows that large numbers of viewers sit at their computers and do things while a second screen is delivering some form of TV programming.

Why does it matter whether the device you are using for that search is a keyboard in your lap or a "smart controller?" You are just being obstinate and trying to defend the approach you prefer, which even Microsoft has stated is going absolutely nowhere.

I would also add that some consumers spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on sophisticated control systems for their home theater systems. These controllers can control multiple source devices, audio systems, lighting, black out curtains (drapes) and even air conditioning.

Most of the manufacturers of these control systems are turning to iPad and iPhone apps for the front end of their systems:

http://www.hometheater.com/content/ht-ipad-app-guide

When you use a PC (or a tablet or a smartphone) to view something, and then you want to view something different, do you have to enlist the help of a second screen, for this oh-so-arduous task? Of course not. You simply keep looking at the PC screen, and navigate elsewhere on the Internet while watching that same screen. This is a really simple task that everyone, by now, is totally familiar with.

Yup. We all do it all the time. And increasingly we do it on mobile devices, even in our homes. All you are arguing about is the form factor of the digital device; and that we should continue to use a GUI designed for desktop computing more than 40 years ago. Let's not even get into the downside of developing applications for Windows, or the problems with viruses and other Internet attacks on PCs.

And please stop with this trash about a second screen, when virtually all of these devices (Android and iOS) are offering mirroring modes that display the same informarion on the big screen that is on the controlling screen.

So, why on earth would anyone assume that a smart TV should do things differently? You get tired of watching something, use the TV screen, just like always, to navigate to something different. When screens are too far to touch, like a desktop PC or a smart TV, you use a mouse typically (or whatever similar pointing device you invent for smart TVs).

Because a keyboard and mouse are no more appropriate when sitting in front of a TV than the brain dead remote controls that have existed for decades. It's not just me Bert; just about everyone but you acknowledges that the Human Interface for the big screen in the family room is ripe for innovation.

Sorry, but a keyboard and mouse are not an innovative solution, nor are they appropriate for the lean back environment of the family room. On the other hand, home control apps are booming with new controllable devices popping up every day. And MANY of these apps can work form ANYWHERE. You could use some form or remote access to a PC hooked up to a TV to control it when away from home, but this is just adding more baggage, when Apps already provide low cost, elegant solutions.

Oh by the way, that's very similar to the way you always changed TV channels, ever since remotes were invented.

There is NOTHING similar about a mouse and standard TV remotes. Wi game controllers and Apple TV do provide a wireless pointing device. but you hold it, you do not need a surface to operate a mouse. You could get a keyboard with an integrated track pad, but these cost nearly as much as entry level tablets.

I think you are desperately trying to find useful jobs for this tablet of yours, whether or not it is superfluous.

It's not me Bert. Developers have already written thousands of apps that deal with home control issues, including TV control. But I can tell you this much. It is very commonplace for me to sit on the sofa or in a recliner, with my iPad in my lap, while watching TV. Here's a clue about what I am doing - it IS NOT about searching for something to watch. I am using some kind of app (typically a game) or surfing the Internet. What is on that big TV screen can easily be "captured" with about 5% of my attention - when something interesting does come on, it is very easy to shift my attention to the big screen.