[opendtv] Re: Redefining high definition : please include videoprojectors

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 17:35:38 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> TV broadcasters could learn a lot from the streaming video industry,
> which now offers multiple versions of content based on available
> resolution of the target receiver and the bandwidth of the pipe being
> used to deliver the content.

I don't know what you're trying to say here.

When broadcasters stream their content online, they are doing this by default.
The content being online, it is typically delivered in unicast, each stream to
a single receiver, and therefore tailored to that receiver. (And Apple just
made that situation worse.)

When broadcasters BROADCAST their content, either OTA or over MVPDs, they
provide a format that all receivers are capable of decoding. In this instance,
the broadcaster or the distribution system (MVPD or affiliated OTA station)
does adjust the resolution, according to how much capacity there is in the
specific pipe, for this content stream.

If broadcast OTA to a mobile device, again the OTA stream to mobile devices is
adjusted for whatever bandwidth can be supported for this mobile-specific
stream.

I don't begin to understand what broadcasters should do differently. The
broadcast parts of OTA or MVPD spectrum are NOT unicast. They must therefore be
able of serving all receivers with the very smallest number of separate
streams. This is very different from online unicast distribution, but is in
fact much more similar to any (potential but very rare) online multicast
distribution.