[opendtv] Re: Redefining high definition : please include videoprojectors

  • From: "Richard C. Ramsden" <ramsden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 21:26:08 -0400

For a basis of comparison.
US theaters are just now starting to convert to 4K.
Digital cinema has been 2K up till now.
I can see the graininess in the picture, but no one else (not in the industry) I've talked to can.
This is on a 30 meter+ diagonal screen.

However, digital cinema is jpeg2000 loss-less. The quality of the underlying image matters.

On 5/30/2012 7:20 PM, Olivier Houot wrote:
Hi,
i saw this paper on Mark's site, and the need for higher resolution is
evaluated taking into account the probable size of users screen.

I am almost sure the related studies have only considered flat screens,
as if it was the only possible way.

But a full HD projector is available for 700 euros nowadays , possibly
less. Who's to say the average consumer will not seize the possibility
of having a cinema-like picture at home on a wall if he can, in thea
years to come?

This is much more practical and affordable than the monster flat screens
demoed by Panasonic and others, and the picture size is way beyond the
figures mentionned in the studies. And this is available now, and
discussed on forums like any other mass market item (meaning a sizable
number of people use them).

You can reach the limits of 2K in such a home setup. Perhaps 4K is a bit
too much, but since we seem to only use 2x quantum steps, it is the
logical next one. And of course, even more so if we suddenly decide that
the 30 cycles per degree human eye resolution on which many prior
discussions were based is no longer true.

That being said, i have no plan to change any element of my 2K setup for
now.