[opendtv] Re: Redefining anamorphic

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 23:34:33 -0800

Thanks, Ron.  I took a few minutes to look at the committee draft for 2016
stored on my hard drive.  And, I am happy to 'report' that I got something
confused: there is no pan/scan in ATSC or MPEG specs (it is intended, at
this point, for use within a broadcast facility), and the idea is to
transport it in the Vertical Ancillary space (VANC) of S259 or S292.

And, bar data and AFD is supported in A/53.

To relate this back to the discussion that we started, this functionality
(or manual dynamic changes) needs to be in place before afd and bar data can
be used reliably in a broadcast plant.

I have yet to see an SMPTE spec I've contributed to go all the way to a
published document, so I'm not familiar with the road map, but it looks like
S2021 (BXF) is getting very close to being published, but it would probably
be a violation of the SMPTE S22-WG10 nda for me to describe it's status, and
I'd probably make a mistake to characterize it any way.

Without the ability to transmit the needed information within the plant
(s2016), and the ability to include the information in playlists, etc
(S2021), afd is 'virtually impossible' to provision.

John Willkie