[opendtv] Re: Red camera lenses

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 13:08:50 -0700

Though your question might be rhetorical, there are lenses that do not have
focal points.

If you are talking about a "lens" as a single element, there are lenses
that do not have a focal point where the light diverges but rather
converges.  But the divergent lens would have a negative "focal point" even
thought the light never converges.  An example would be a biconcave lens.
So one might argue that this still has a focal point.  Ultimately, if the
positive or negative focal point is infinite, then you would have a
"filter" and might not define it as a lens.

As far as a system lens, a lens made up of many elements, there aren't too
many lenses that produce an image that do not have a focal point.  There
are conversion optics that do not have a focal point, but they do not make
an image by themselves.  There are some rare designs that do in fact
"image" without a system focal point, but I don't think there are any in
the broadcast industry.

Dan

From: "johnwillkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [opendtv] Re: Red camera lenses
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:27:48 -0700

"In some lenses, light may radiate from a central point within the lens
and travel in non-parallel lines to the sensor."

Seems to me that glass without this characteristic cannot be called a lens.
Is there a lens without a focal point?