[opendtv] Re: Recovery based on CE

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 17:44:45 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> Nothing personal, Bert, but the next time someone says that ATSC chip
> equalizers will cost next to nothing because 'its just silicon' will
> have to explain digital camera memory chip pricing to me.

By which you're saying, I assume, that the price of CE products in
general has *not* decreased, as integration and volume of sales has
gone up?

For example, DVD players and VCRs, digital cameras reaching up in the
6.3 Mpel range as mid-level products, not to mention the DVB-T STBs
specifically intended for the UK market?

Did you see the Canon Rebel digital lately? In film form, that was
an enty level SLR. In digital form, 6.3 Mpel for under $1000. Where
about one year ago, 6.3 Mpel was only for professional level
cameras.