[opendtv] Re: Record Labels and "Performance Tax"

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 15:46:07 -0700

Dan;

This is somewhat complicated issue.  If radio stations in the U.S. are
forced to pay needle-drop fees, do you think you'll hear more or less music
on the radio?

Radio gives away music (some radio, anyway) for free.  Record labels don't.
Radio tends to pay talent the agreed upon fees.  Music labels generally
steal from their talent.  Radio is in the entertainment business.  Record
labels are in the banking business.

This area has been hot for months.

John Willkie, who has alluded to this battle several times on this list

  _____