[opendtv] Read this one instead -- Louisiana Governor...

  • From: "Hunold, Ken" <KRH@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 16:30:49 -0400

Maybe opendtv is trying to tell me something...  Sorry.

=====

9/11 was unique in that, as devastating as the event was, its direct
impact was over a relatively small area. Outside of a radius of only a
few miles, the environment (including most media coverage, via cable)
was unaffected. This allowed scenarios such as what Mark described to
exist (TV viewing on what I assume was an AC-powered set.) Yes, a
picture might be worth a thousand words, but sometimes you only need a
few words to get a sense of what is going on. Maybe that is a
perspective built on the experience of three Blackouts in New York. My
personal experience with regard to communal radio listening on 9/11 was
as I walked north from near Ground Zero until I reached 14th Street.
Below 14th Street the city was closed to traffic.

Katrina wiped out power and alternate consumer telecommunications over
what I imagine was the total coverage area of local stations. Coverage
within that area and during that time would have been health and safety
related, I assume. I imagine that Broadcasters did what they could to
remain on the air with information, and/or return to the air as soon as
they could after their facilities had been damaged or destroyed. Again,
I wasn't there, but that's what Broadcasters usually do.

Regards,

Ken