[opendtv] Re" Re: Linear streams

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 01:08:25 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

I agree that a MVPD must make a deal with the "source" to offer
access to a TVE site;

So, why did it take so much prose to finally reach this point, Craig?

And yes, you must subscribe to the linear channel from an MVPD to
gain access to the companion TVE service.

Exactly.

Dish is available to anyone that can install a Dish with line
of sight

I already know what you need to get DBS service, Craig. Why do you feel the
need to explain the obvious?

See above. But both the Dish DBS service and the Dish Sling
service have a national footprint.

National footprint hardly means universally receivable. We've been over this a
ton of times. Many households cannot access DBS, just like many households
cannot connect to Cox. And yet, *any* household with (neutral) broadband
service, which is now about 90 percent of households these days, has access to
Sling TV. But not to the TVE offered by Cox. Huge difference. Sling TV is more
like Netflix or Hulu, in this regard, and nothing like a facilities-constrained
MVPD or TVE.

It is still a monopolistic sieve Bert. It is my ONLY choice
for an Unmetered Internet service sufficient to stream Netflix
in HD.

Thanks for articulating why net neutrality is so important, why Tom Wheeler
was urged by multiple thousands of e-mail writers to go for Title II
classification, and why a site made available over a strictly non-blocking
network is NOTHING like an MVPD service or like TVE.

You are correct that it was not practical to stream huge libraries
if TV shows to the public 20 years ago. So the content owners
started developing linear MVPD channels they could fill with their
library content,

So once again, why feel the urge to write the obvious? Everyone knows this,
Craig. The simple fact is, on demand libraries offer much more content than any
linear stream plus DVR can hope to match. This too is obvious. Consequently,
the linear stream becomes less and less important, less and less used.