[opendtv] Re.: FCC: Upgrading Media Rules to Better Serve Consumers in Toda

  • From: Daniel Grimes <dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 11:52:16 -0700

"The next step should be to eliminate the national caps on OTA station
ownership. Eliminate national caps, not local caps." -Bert

Personally, I disagree. I believe, ideally, that OTA should only be
independently and locally owned and operated. They can be aligned with an
affiliate, a larger corporation, for resources like programming but not
corporately owned.

I know this is very impractical in today's business environment, but I
strongly believe smaller caps should have been held for the protection of
multiple freedoms and responsibilities that a corporation might not have an
interest in holding. Not that a corporation won't hold the interest
(indeed there are still a few corporations that hold to ideals first), just
that with the basis of how a corporation works, especially a publicly
traded one, those values are difficult to maintain.

I know this is an ideological stance, and that conflicting ideologies might
argue against, but allowing all OTA broadcasters to be owned by publicly
traded and/or large corporations will ruin (has ruined?) the original
function of the local broadcast.

Good thing I don't own a station, huh!?

Dan