[opendtv] Re: Rat's Ass

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 16:58:30 -0500

Mark Aitken wrote:

> Truth be told - 700MHz and ideal topology for LTE don't match. It is a
> system issue, and data throughput issue. From what I know (as informed
> by top level carriers) the 'ranter' here might not be fully up to
> speed...

That's an understatement.

The ranter sets up strawmen that he then relishes to knock down. All of his
rants are half-truths.

This reminds me of that "iris engine" radio interview. The iris engine person
sets up this strawman: the "working surface" of an internal combustion engine
determines its efficiency.

This is false, but the interviewer doesn't know this, so then for the rest of
the interview, they enjoy themselves talking about how all of the special
interests are opposed to improving fuel economy.

Oh, and by the way, if lowering the frequency is so wonderful because you can
use less transmitter power, perhaps the FCC should consider assigning the
longwave band, beneath the AM radio band, for cellular phones. That band is not
used in the US, as far as I can tell. Why doesn't he rant about that?