[opendtv] Re: Radio's metamorphosis

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 11:30:32 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> I can easily see many live events being streamed via IP multicasts.
> This would work fine for both college and professional sporting
> events.

So you end up using an expensive, unicast, microcell RF infrastrusture,
to do what is far more efficiently done with a broadcast protocol and
fewer towers. Not saying it can't ultimately happen. It would make most
sense if the multicast traffic is a small part of the whole.

> Tom talked about the "bit pump" at gas stations, an idea that has
> some merit, But what about putting Wi-Fi in the vehicle, making
> it possible for the vehicle to sync up with your home network
> when it is parked in the driveway. Planning a trip? Just fill up
> the cache in the car with enough programming to keep people
> occupied during the trip.

Or just use sneakernet to carry CDs, DVDs, or your own set of DVD+/-RWs,
to the car before the trip. And/or your iPod. Sure, why not?

I can't get overly excited about these pre-recorded scenarios, which are
the natural evolution of the car cassette deck, although I know that
many find it appealing. What it doesn't address is news, weather, and
traffic reports that may be relevant during the trip.

> Radio has the luxury of being able to serve small niche markets
> because of higher spectral efficiency - that is, they can use
> the same frequency in many markets when all of these stations
> operate at lower power levels.

Actually, OTA TV could work the same way. Radio's spectral efficiency is
considerably lower than that of TV, and always has been, which is why
it's easier to receive. Use of low power transmitters for radio is no
different from LPTV. For certain niche audiences, you can create a dense
mosaic of low power coverage areas.

Sometimes, they use low power radio stations because there's simply no
room for high power in that location. WTOP, in this market (Bonneville
Broadcasting), transmits over several FM and one AM frequency to obtain
the coverage it wants.