[opendtv] Re: Radio vs.

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 07:38:02 -0500

Hi Steve

I tend to agree. I believe the car is one of the next big things to be
transformed by the digital revolution. Home automation is the other area ready
to explode.

For autos, pervasive connectivity is going to be the most important factor, and
SDR will be the key. Instead of hitting the scan button on the radio, we will
see a list of stations that are above the dB threshold for good reception,
along with format and current programming.

But LTE and WiFi are going to be the primary technologies in the near term. The
vehicle will be the base station and use WiFi to feed multiple devices and
systems in the vehicle. From there you can access the world.

The downside is privacy. A connected vehicle can be monitored; location, speed,
etc. I'm not sure how government will deal with this. At first it may be
automated fines to fill local coffers. But this is likely to lead to automated
control to prevent infractions and improve traffic flow.  So what will the
hungry politicians do when we use technology to shut down this important source
of local revenues?

My guess is user fees and per mile taxes to replace the traffic ticket fines.

The upside is that we may be able to use sophisticated apps in the car without
endangering others.