[opendtv] Re: Radio vs.

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2013 10:41:03 -0500

On 12/4/2013 10:22 AM, Craig Birkmaier wrote:

I'm just saying that consumers have shown little interest in Digital Radio,

That's because it does not work outside a radius of about 15 miles from the
transmitters. I have a digital radio in my car and it is pretty much worthless.

It's also detrimental to normal AM and FM analog broadcast signals.

I've driven around the Philadelphia-Wilmington area and outside that immediate area as far as Kutztown to the NW and Dover to the SE. Also driven to W VA and Ohio and reception along the interstates is spotty at best and non-existant at the worst.

Reception falls off quickly when I'm further than about 15 miles from the transmitters.

Digital radio seems to have been designed with help from the ratings companies to *not* cover any areas outside the metro-demographic areas they serve. The local stations must
want to protect their digital ratings at the cost of service to consumers.

Further, the digital sidebands of the local stations block reception of distant AM radio signals I could usually receive at home with a long wire antenna before digital.

Who needs HI-FI digital reception when all you want to hear where the hurricane or nor'easter
is and when it might hit you.

Cliff

---
is active.